Style Guide for FirstUnitarianToronto.org
Tone of Voice
- Be friendly and welcoming
- Use straight-forward jargon-free wording
- When linking to a file or a URL that’s not on this site, set target="_blank" so that it opens in a new window or tab.
- Text links should be in mixed case (aka “skyline case” or “camel case”), not lower case, e.g., www.FirstUnitarianToronto.org.
- Picture and icon links should contain the HTML tags alt="text" and title="text", where text describes that picture or icon.
- For mailto links, use only FirstUnitarianToronto.org addresses. Do not use personal email addresses (e.g., gmail, sympatico)
- For mailto links, specify the default subject line, starting with ?subject=TorontoFirst:%20… (This is because most of the site email addresses are redirections to personal email addresses and we want the emails that come from this site to be immediately identifiable.)
- Do not show personal phone numbers on the site, unless there is explicit permission from the person.
- Use dashes, with no parentheses and no spaces: e.g., 416-924-9654
- For extensions, use a space, then “x”, e.g., 416-924-9654 x301
Dates and Times
- Dates should be formatted as “mmmm dd, yyyy”, e.g., February 12, 2011
- The year may be omitted if it’s obvious from the context.
- The day of the week may be added if it's interesting and not obvious from the context, e.g., Saturday, February 12, 2011
- Use 12-hour time format, with no punctuation for the meridian, e.g., am, pm
- When specifying a time range, only use the meridan on the last, if that's appropriate and use a short dash with no spaces, e.g., 10:30-11:30 am and 7-8:30 pm
- No clipart - use photographs instead
- No fly-outs (3rd level menus)
- No text should be underlined, except possibly links.
- Use smart quotes (“,”) and smart apostrophe (’), not straight quotes (", ')
- Use double quotes usually, but within a quote, can use single quotes
- At the end of a sentence, use one blank space, not two.
- email (not e-mail)
- UU (not U.U.)
- Convenor (not Convener)